Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Character

So, I used to think that I had to try harder to be a better person. To be more more like Jesus. I needed to study the Bible more so that I would know HOW to achieve this lofty goal. I needed to be conscientious and make the right choices. But I have recently discovered that while this is a good ideal to work towards, it's not right. First and foremost I need to be seeking what's important to God, not me. I was so sure that me trying to improve my character, morals, and making sacrifices would make God happy. But, he doesn't simply want our sacrifices, he says he wants our obedience. At church, the pastor pointed out that Jesus cared about people. He cared about the ones who were hurting, confused, and seeking for an answer. So that's what we need to be concerned with. Not necessarily our own spiritual condition as much. I already have salvation! How selfish of me to ignore the need out there. If I were to commit to fully serving God, and being used for his ultimate goal, all of my desires to be closer to him, and a stronger person would follow. Sometimes we get so sidetracked with seeking the blessings, the byproducts, that we forget our mission. The great commission.

No comments: